Monday, April 21, 2008

i think i have a thesis

The Boondocks mocks Nelson’s time periods by sarcastically exaggerating their presence within the show, attempting to combat the typical ways that blacks have been represented on television and catalyzing a new category of black representation which I will name Faux Assimilated Hybrid Minstrelsy. The Boondocks, which exemplifies this category, uses visual and linguistic patterns to display three distinct character types to portray African Americans: 1) Well Rounded black characters, 2) hyper-stereotypical black characters, and 3) white characters with stereotypically black traits. By juxtaposing well-rounded black characters––which were not seen in American media until Nelson’s fourth period (1944)––with stereotypical black characters and stereotypically black white characters, The Boondocks portrays a diverse representation of African Americans and in doing so, demonstrates the falsity of earlier representations of African Americans and suggests that the association of stereotypically black traits with black people is actually a fallacy.

2 comments:

Ms Bates said...

Hey Aaron--it looks like you decided to go big again, by working with all the catagories rather than focusing on the "white characters with stereotypically black traits."

I'm curious as to why you went back to the earlier assertion. Again, I think you're right-on in this argument, but it may be hard to fully explore it within the page length (even if you write, say, 15 pages). But then again, it's up to you--you may have a plan for fitting it all together.

Aaron said...

As i was writing my draft I found it impossible to focus on one character type because they supplement each other to make the broader point of the show. I feel like I wouldn't be doing the show justice if I only focus on one type. I agree that it will be hard but I feel like it would be harder to write the paper without discussing the other types. Please let me know if you feel like I and undertaking an impossible task.

btw, I was late to class today and nobody was in the classroom.